orWine Tastings in the Comfort of you own villa or B&B while on holiday in Tuscany or Liguria

To book an informative and fun wine tasting whilst holidaying in Italy or arrange for a wild food walk in your area contact me on tuscanytipple at libero dot it or check out my Facebook page

Total Pageviews

Monday 11 January 2010

Trapped indoors

For over 4 days now we have been trapped indoors! It's not that it's pouring with rain, it's just one of those allround dampnesses. Sitting inside, you feel like in an inverted aquarium. You only dare venture out with goggles, a snorkel and flippers. The damp just pervades everything, the thick walls of our ancient palazzo seem to simply soak in moisture and expand in the process. Clothes hung up to dry inside get wetter as the days wear on. It's simply depressing! Give me our usual monsoon-like rainstorms for a few hours any time rather than this damp squib of a weather, this limp towel of a weather, this non-weather. Urrrgggh!!!!

Anyway, Susan made use of the time and entered a short story competition. I heard about it through Tessa's blog http://aerialarmadillo.blogspot.com/, that I have recently started following a bit. The competition is on http://clarityofnight.blogspot.com/. Susan's entry is #110. Go have a look at it and give her a comment, it'll make her very happy. She has also her own blog with some stories on it http://susan-stories.blogspot.com/ if you are at all interested.

Now when I say her own blog, Susan doesn't actually do computers. At all! She doesn't know how to switch one on or off or anything, so I lend a hand at times. She wrote this little story in half an hour in the old time-honoured fashion of pen on paper, with lots of scribbling out bits and little asterisks to insert a word or phrase here and there. At least she does know how to type, because I couldn't read what she's written. So I just have to open Word and let her get on with the final version.

7 comments:

chaiselongue said...

Thanks for these literary links. I hope you manage to get out of your damp prison to your garden and your olive grove very soon!

Stefaneener said...

I'll get to the story after I finish grading the essays from my short story class this week! I wish I could stay inside right now instead of driving children to classes and lessons. Oh, and I am still grocery shopping some. Got to keep flour and milk in the house, you know?

Take care and stay warm.

Mr. H. said...

Wow, you really get a lot of rain over there. I am definitely not a fan of long spells of rainy weather...give me anything but non-stop rain. Hang in there it can't last forever. I look forward to reading Susan's story.

fersher said...

I'm glad I ran across your blog and I'm looking forward to reading along. I live in Boise, Idaho (USA), but I used to live in Genoa, Italy with my Italian husband. Cheers!

Heiko said...

Welcome Fersher,
I like Genoa. What brought you to these parts? Idaho? Do you know my friend Mr H? He lives in North Idaho.

WeekendFarmer said...

: )

Hey - did you read " Under the Tuscan Sun"?

The movie was terrible...too Hollywoodeee.

Hope you are doing well!

Heiko said...

Hi weekend Farmer,
yes I did read the book and it was almost as bad as the film. It's only saving grace was a few nice recipes in it. Annie Hawes wrote some much better books on living in Italy: "Extra Virgin" and "Ripe for the Picking". Highly recommended humorous account of living in Italy